• facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    PörniPörni shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  eat adminAdmineat admin (Admin, Eat.fi) responded  · 

We’d like to know from people in wheelchairs, what counts as wheelchair friendly? Is it enough if there’s space between tables and no stairs, or is a wheelchair-accessible bathroom also an absolute requirement? We are wondering because we are considering whether wheelchair-accessible and pram-accessible could be combined. If a wheelchair accessible bathroom is necessary, then they cannot be.

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Of course there has to be a wheelchair-accessible bathroom and it works also for those people who use walker.

• eat adminAdmineat admin (Admin, Eat.fi) commented  · 

@Petri Heh. Fair point! In that case, it may make sense to begin with the question whether or not the restaurant has a wheelchair-accessible toilet. Is there a register of those somewhere, I wonder?

• PetriSPetriS commented  · 

Oh dear, dear Aspiala! One has to be able to enter the premises, move around and, as strange it may seem, to use a toilet. Now, pram-accessibility and wheelchair-accessibility are very much similar requirements, but one is not the other.

• PetriPetri commented  · 

Hi! In my opinion it counts that there are no stairs in the entrance or inside, or there is ramp/elevator. Usually the spaces between tables are matter of arrangement with the staff, and it shouldn't be problem. However, I can't go to a restaurant if it doesn't have an accessible toilet. I think most people with wheelchair think the same. What comes to a pram-accessibility, I think in many places they have combined those baby diaper-changing-stations with accessible toilets, like for example in McDonalds. I guess it's not a bad thing. I have also seen places, that have only one toilet, but it is accessible, which is also a good option for smaller places.

• PetePete commented  · 

It's also important to know, if there is an accessible toilet in the restaurant, especially if your going to dine a longer time (compared to fast food etc).

• IdscuIdscu commented  · 

This is a very important thing for many citizens, and will be more and more important as our folk is getting older... About the street view, there can be a large step right after the door, atleast in old buildings etc. For example many restaurants on Bulevardi...

• eat adminAdmineat admin (Admin, Eat.fi) commented  · 

At the moment we have integrated Google Street View so you can at least see the outside of the place/what the entrance is like/how big it seems, etc. How much of a help is this?

• karikari commented  · 

very important

Feedback and Knowledge Base